CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Weight Loss Surgery Myth and Fact

There are a lot of misconceptions about Weight Loss surgery (WLS). While I am sure this is by no means an all inclusive list, this is a start of some of the ones I hear most often.

Myth: WLS is an easy way out.
Truth: Some patients say it is the toughest thing they have ever done. I am not talking about the decision or pre-work or even surgery itself but the rest of your life. Surgery is not a magic bullet. You have to change your entire life once you have surgery or you at best get really sick and at worst die.

Another myth came from a dear friend in response to an earlier blog. She gave me permission to quote her.

Her quote: "On my worst days, I've considered surgery and then I get to thinking, I know how to diet and exercise and can quote chapter and verse on the whys and wherefores of it. It's the behavior patterns I can't control and the
surgery sure isn't going to help that, so I talk myself out of it."

Myth: I know how to do it and can do it by myself
Truth: I hate to be the bearer of bad news but statistically once someone is obese only 4-5% of people are able to loose weight and keep it off without surgical intervention. It isn't a will power issue, or a behavior issue or a knowledge issue, it is a physical metabolic issue.

Myth: WLS won't control behavior patterns.
Truth: Actually surgery forces you to change you behavior patterns. For example with Lap Band, many people can not tolerate dairy, can not tolerate pasta, breads etc. You are pretty much forced into a low carb lifestyle. When you cheat and go off of this you can get so violently ill that according to those who have experienced it, you will only do it once it is so painful. You are also forced to change your pattern of eating. No snacking in between meals. No inhaling your food, you have to eat about a teaspoon at a time, let it digest and then the next teaspoon. These are all forced behavior modifications etc.

Myth: WLS just gives you a smaller stomach so you can't eat as much.
Truth: This is a true statement except the just part. WLS forces you to only eat about 4 ounces total per meal but it also greatly reduces cravings. Most people who have had lap band say that they just don't even have the desire to eat.

Myth: After WLS you can eat anything you want and never gain weigh.
Truth: In fact WLS is just a tool. You are forced to eat less and smaller portions and slower but if you consume nothing but chocolate for your diet you will not loose or if you loose, you can gain it all back. You must still follow a diet for the rest of your life. WLS is just a tool to force the habits.

My friend also had this quote that is worth addressing: " I agree with you about the fact that the ulterior motive just might be that you'll find out what to do and not need the surgery."

This was from my prior blog where I spoke about how you have to loose weight before surgery and I explained the reasons why. I stated that I thought it was also to see if you could stick to a program. I didn't mean to indicate that they were hoping you would decide not to have surgery. In fact when my Dr told me I need to loose 10% my statement to him was that if I could loose that much I wouldn't need him. He laughed and said that I did need him because without the surgery I would gain it all back. He was just stating statistics (again 96% are unable to keep weight off without surgery). Plus let's face it, he doesn't get paid if I don't do the surgery, why would he talk me out of it?

What I was trying to say is that because of some of the stuff I outlined above about the rigid post surgery lifestyle they want to see how serious you are and if you have the dedication to do it. They want us to succeed and if we couldn't handle a simple diet how can we handle something for the rest of our lives?

Again, these are only a few of the myths. Hopefully this helped people understand.

I am not sure if I will have weight loss surgery or not but I am marching down that path and doing all of the necessary pre-work for it so I am ready to make that decision when time comes and not have to do additional work.

0 comments: