CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Dining out

I am writing this again from my iphone so please forgive spelling and grammar.

One of the things I have enjoyed the most about the low carb lifestyle is the ability to lead a fairly normal life including dining out.

Here are some of my favorite choices for dining out by cuisine:

Mexican:
Taco salad without the shell and hold the beans
Fajitas without the tortilla

Italian:
Caesar salad
Chicken Marsala
Chicken Parmesan (if not breaded)
Some Italian restaurants have a low carb menu. Amante for example has 5 dishes including a no dough pizza. This is meat and sauce on a plate covered in cheese. I have never tried this but I bet other pizza places would do this too. If not, simply don't eat the crust.

Asian:
Chinese is honestly is the hardest with so much rice and breaded food and the sauces tend to have a lot of sugar. There are options like almond chicken. For me, I avoid this genre of food. Japanese and Vietnamese is easier with many grilled meats and salads. Of course avoid the noodle dishes.

American:
This is the easiest. Almost any chicken or beef dish works. You can even have fried chicken, just peal the skin off. Many restaurants will substitute high carb sides for salads or veggies just ask. A note on salads; ranch, blue cheese and Caesar are the lowest carb choices.

By the way, my favorite choice for low carb is a buffet place. My husband and I ate at Old Country Buffet tonight which was the motivation for tonight's blog. I was able to start with lettuce and add taco meat and salsa for a makeshift taco salad. I then had boiled fish and chicken breast. I was able to eat quite well with a lot of variety and the only carbs were from the lettuce.

0 comments: