CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, September 12, 2009

Typical Grocery Shopping

Today being Saturday I started out my day running errands.

One of the items on my list was to do simple grocery shopping and as I looked in my cart at the checkout, I thought it may make a good topic for today's blog.

What do typical low-carbers buy at the store?

So here is a list of what I bought today followed by what I will use them for:

1 bag frozen chicken breasts
1 5lb block Swiss cheese
2 six packs of Hansen's black cherry diet pop
1 18 pack of Eggs
4 boxes frozen spinach
and

10 packages of Hormel frozen entrees (I had a coupon)

The chicken breasts I put half (4 breasts) into a Ziploc freezer bag with a bottle of low carb (I use Michelob ultra) and put into the fridge to marinate for a few days. The other 4 I put into the freezer for later.

The cheese is one of my foods.  We can have about 4 oz of cheese per day and Swiss has always been one of my favs.  I sometimes slice it over hamburgers. Sometimes I just eat it in cubes. I also needed it for my quiche.

The diet pop is somewhat obvious. However, I add some  DaVinci to it to make it even better.

The eggs will be used for a lot of stuff.  I am going to try another cheesecake recipe later today so some will go into that.  Some for my weekly quiche and the rest I may hard boil for a snack for my and my husband or just leave for future use.

The spinach is for my weekly quiche.  I make a crust less quiche every week.  It is straight out of Atkins book. I will post it below.  I eat 1/8 of it everyday for breakfast so it lasts me about a week and is a lot faster than cooking eggs every breakfast.

and the Hormel dinners are one of my newest loves.  They are precooked so they heat up in I think it is 3 minutes and they are fantastic.  You have to read labels of course, some have more carbs (meatloaf for example because of the binders).  But the roast is fantastic.   Great for weeknights when I need something quick.   also, even though they are prepared food, they don't have preservatives.  


Atkins quiche recipe:

First here it is directly from the book.  Below I will say what I change. 

4 oz. bacon
1/2 yellow onion, thinly sliced
6 eggs
3/4 c heavy cream
2 boxes (10 oz. each) frozen chopped broccoli or spinach, thawed and sqeezed dry
1/2 pound Swiss cheese, shredded
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

1. Heat oven to 350*F. Butter a 10-inch tart pan or 9-inch deep pie plate ( I used a square 9 by 9 glass baking dish).
2. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp. Drain on paper towels; coarsely chop.
3. Remove all but 1 tablespoon bacon drippings from skillet. Add onion and cook 5 minutes, until softened but not brown. In a large bowl, combine eggs, cream, broccoli, cheese, salt, and pepper. Stir in bacon and onion.
4. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Bake 1 hour and 15 minutes (tenting with foil, if necessary, to prevent over-browning) or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes before cutting into wedges.

Number of Servings: 8
4.7 carbs each serving.

My changes:  I don't eat pork so I use turkey bacon. I am not partial to onions but I love their flavor so I use onion powder.    I also sometimes add other herbs like Herb De Provence.   I haven't experimented too much outside this yet.  I plan on someday making a cream cheese and salmon quiche.  I will post about it if I ever do.

0 comments: