CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, September 14, 2009

Fun day at the "shrink" - part 1

One of the many things I need to do for my insurance* was to undergo a complete Psychological evaluation.

Tonight I am going to write about some more facts about weight loss that I learned today from this psychologist .

Tomorrow I am going to write about the evaluation itself to help people understand that and hopefully alleviate any fears about it. : -)

The doctor said that Psychology has been interested in weight management issues forever.

There have been countless studies about behavior patterns.

He told me that there is now over 30 years of studies about weight.

They have done studies where they provide very strict diet and exercise programs or ones where people follow popular plans (like Atkins or Weight Watchers) and everything in-between.

These studies show that people can loose the weight but statistically speaking (over 30 years of research), regardless of method of weight loss. Only 2% keep it off.

Yes, you read that right. Only two percent!
My Bariatric surgeon had said it was less than 4% which was bad enough.

To hear it is even lower than that is just amazing.

He said there are many reasons for this;  hereditary reasons, will power reasons. set points, etc 

With the Lap Band it is over 70%.   And he said that the < 30% who can't keep it off are ones had other factors against them and perhaps should have never had the surgery.

For example they thought it was a magic bullet instead of a tool and didn't change their lifestyle at all.


So, Yes, I have lost a lot of weight already, 50 lbs and I will keep loosing until the surgery but the surgery option just just got another check box in the pro column. 

This time, I want to loose and keep it off. 


*Be sure to check with your insurance company because what mine required may be different than yours.

0 comments: